I seriously cannot believe that Season 6 is over, and that we have a mere 16 episodes between us and the end of my favorite thing of ever. I think this finale was a bit different than most, as it left us with a lot of questions. But it still at least has most of our loves on the same moon, and frankly, I can live with that.
Just a reminder, spoilers galore!! Like ALL the spoilers- proceed with caution!
Griffins Versus Lightbournes
Okay but the entire season kind of came down to this, didn’t it? Funny that, as Russell almost prophesied it when he insisted on dealing with Clarke and only Clarke. Then absconded with her entire family to turn into his family, as only Russell would. I mean, dude even tries to steal Madi. It’s rude, frankly.
We open where we left off- doors open, Indra’s Army (because if anyone should be the damn leader, it’s her) ready to shoot, only to be greeted by everyone they know and also Russell. Can you even imagine being greeted by that delightful sight? Abby and Clarke holding guns to their own people’s heads? With this rando in the middle? Indra’s legit considering opening fire, when Gaia gives her the “but Mom” look that makes Indra realize that Gaia knows more about what’s going on, and she trusts her. Good call, ladies.
Once aboard, Russell has a plan. He’s gonna wipe all the people in cryo, bring the awake people along to be their slaves, and jet off to Planet Beta! Because what’s a little mind-wiping between friends? Miranda Mason is even excited that she doesn’t have to know them before she takes over their bodies which… wow, talk about a new level of sociopathy, well done Miranda! But no one else’s opinon matters to Russ as much as “Josie’s”, of course.
He must be so… proud?
While the Primes are making genocidal plans, Raven et al are trying to free Madi from Sheidheda. Luckily, Gaia grabbed Becca’s notebook amidst all the fighting, and Raven thinks she has a pretty good plan.
It was right across the street from the ice cream parlor.
But Clarke just can’t let the Primes kill all the people left in cryo, no matter who it can help her save. Simone wants the mind-wiping potion, and Clarke knows she’s going to have to give up the rouse of Josie. In the moment she resists, Russell knows he’s lost Josephine. It’s actually really sad, even though he’s the worst. Clarke even feels bad, because she’s not evil incarnate, but she takes off with the drug.
Apparently, the mind drives can be tracked (so pleased that I called that one!) so Simone and the other Primes follow Clarke to the airlock, where she’s belted herself in. There’s a tense moment where the Primes hold their weapons to Clarke, but she threatens to float the fluid. Simone tries to pretend to be Abby to gain Clarke’s trust, which is beyond evil. You can see the hope in Clarke’s eyes for oh, about half a second. And then she tests “Abby” by asking for Jake’s name, to which Simone gives her the blankest look ever. Girl, you just should have guessed! Gone with “John” or “Mike”, take a chance! Alas, Clarke knew what she had to do.
Bye Primes. You shan’t be missed, though your portrayers will be 💔💔
By this point, Russell has taken Madi prisoner because again, he is vile. I even get his anger at Clarke, but killing a twelve year old? Really? Anyway, it’s not even really Madi at this point, as Slim Sheidy has basically taken over consciousness. Of which he has no problem announcing, and telling Russell that they can rule the world together. Honestly, I don’t know what the hell Sheidheda would have offered, just seemed like a bluff to me, but it worked. Then in comes Clarke. She’s not about to lose her mom and her kid in the same day, so she tries desperate measures to bring Madi back to the surface. She puts a gun to her head. Look- I know this wasn’t about actual suicidal ideation, but I still don’t think it was the most responsible choice. Regardless, it was effective.
Russell is whisked away while they sprint Madi back up to med bay to get rid of the asshole commander once and for all. Only, he’s worked it out so that in order to delete Sheidheda, they have to destroy the whole Flame. One look at the sick kid makes the decision really clear, so… bye Hedas Past. It’s a bittersweet moment, honestly. While I was kind of over the Flame, it’s truly the end of the Grounder civilization. It was one of the last (and certainly the most important to them) wholly Grounder customs they clung to, and now… well, you know. But at least Madi is back and Sheidheda is just… infiltrating the whole damn ship? Well, that sounds like a problem for another
Anarchy and Adjusters
After our heroes get into their new
Tiny House storage container, they fairly quickly get evicted. By… Mt Weather gas? I have no idea but it seemed the same so let’s pretend. They’re dragged, while unconscious, into the tavern where some shenanigans are brewing. Basically, everyone inside is being forced to choose: their blood, or the Blood of Sanctum. And by “their blood”, they mean this rude woman will slit your throat if you don’t drink this nasty blood/toxin mixture and pray to the Primes. Or something. Xavier’s sister Layla is killed for refusing. Miller, after a nod from Bellamy, acquiesces and drinks the Kool-Aid. But just then, to their relieved eyes appear Daniel and Kaylee Prime. Murphy and Emori order Earthkru to be released to the palace, so they can personally decide what to do with them. And as they leave, “Daniel” gets a surprise blast from the past.
This is Zev. He is Murphy’s lover, apparently.
Getting back to the palace is… an adventure. Honestly it’s just one giant mass of chaos from start to finish in the great Sanctum outdoors. Any rationality has long since fell by the wayside. Once back, they find Gabriel and Jordan. Jordan… has drunk all the Kool-Aid and is basically catatonic. Gabriel wants to save the friend they had to leave behind, and at first everyone resists, until Octavia doesn’t. And in this decision, her decision to do better, she gets everything she’s wanted.
I needed this so badly, and so did O. And it’s not why she chose to do better, but I am glad she was given this reward regardless. Murphy is still on the fence, but come on, this is Season 6 Murphy, so you know he’s gonna cave and help his friends! So they formulate a plan, and head on back to the Tavern, leaving Emori to basically hold down the invalid fort.
I don’t fully understand how this plan is supposed to work. Something about “Daniel Prime” taking Gabriel to be adjusted, only they have taken the anti-toxin so they’ll be fine. And I have no idea what O, Echo, and Bell were supposed to be doing, but I also imagine they didn’t think that adjuster lady was going to set the whole tavern (including, I think, her own damn son) aflame, so. Luckily, the Blakes and Echo (see what I did there?) aren’t afraid of a little firefight. They take out all the torches, and when Lady Flame becomes a human torch, O just tackles her, throwing her jacket-on-fire off.
Nicely done, team! Only… O has a new tattoo and whoopsie, looks like a souvenir from the Anomaly! Gabriel is interested, and let’s be clear, he’s interested in both the tattoo and Octavia’s bare skin, but I guess that’ll have to wait.
Sorry, you’ll have to canoodle next season.
“I Tried to Do Better”
Now for the aftermath. I feel like this is pretty standard at this point: the moment of downtime when our heroes actually have to face what they’ve had to do and who they’ve lost along the way. Bellamy first runs into Jordan, and I’ll get into him later, but wow dude’s a mess. He’s mad at Bellamy for basically destroying Sanctum, but look Jordan. Earthkru didn’t destroy Sanctum. Sanctum destroyed Sanctum, and at the very most, Earthkru just hastened their demise. The reign of the Primes would not continue forever uncontested. Eventually maybe Gabriel’s kids would have gotten their shit together, or some other group would have taken over, but using citizens’ bodies? That was never going to end well. Anyway, enough with Jordan, who’s really taking a page out of his namesake’s book. Look who’s back!
And while everyone else hugs and cries and unpacks the events of the past week and a half (yes, that’s all it was, good thing those guys had a nap before this), really only two people matter to the narrative at this moment.
I mean they’re not even pretending platonism anymore, are they?
They have a chat about what it means to do better. If they have done better. It’s a lot for these two leaders, who always seem to bear the brunt, especially Clarke. And now, she’s lost her mother. But even though she’s still bearing it, it says a lot that she’s letting Bellamy bear it too. She’s not running, she’s letting him help her to stay.
The Anomaly Giveth; The Anomaly Taketh Away
Sadly, the reunion is short lived because Octavia knows she needs to go back to the Anomaly with Gabriel. Bellamy and Echo go along for the ride, and Gabriel unveils the thing he has been so giddy about since seeing O’s tattoo: The Anomaly Stone.
Apparently, it’s thousands of years old, and is quite the mystery. But luckily, O has the key to unlock it, handily placed on her back. And it unleashes… a mega-Anomaly?
My thoughts exactly, girl.
And just as I expected and hoped and prayed for the love of my life Charmaine Diyoza to bloop out and stagger into the tent… I get someone else. I am not going to pretend that this is not disappointing. I don’t want McCreary’s love spawn, I wan’t Diyoza. Anyway, turns out I’m only getting Love Spawn, and she’s going to stab O so already we’re off to a preeeeetty rocky start.
That’s not a great way to integrate yourself into the group, bud.
She tells O that “he” still has Diyoza, and O says to “tell him that it’s done”, like those two phrases aren’t going to taunt us for the next nine months. Then, as Bellamy tries to tend to O, she… bloops out. Actually, she more disintegrates? Which is strange and new. And Bellamy is… well, he is exactly as you’d expect him to be.
I know my dude, it’s gonna be a long nine months!
And I am sure that there is more to whatever just happened with Hope than “Hope stabs Octavia”. Even Octavia seemed moderately cool with it. But that isn’t what we’re going to see from everyone who loves Octavia and is pretty pissed that she turned into Anomaly Dust, so I think Hope is going to have a lot of explaining to do.
- I’m going to go ahead and assume they’ve been conditioning Jordan with the blood in a sort of dosing situation, yeah? He is a mess. I am kind of bummed by where his story went this season if I’m being honest. Maybe if we’d seen him trying to resist? Also someone might have wanted to check the back of his head because we see Jordan holding one (1) mind drive. There should be two, Priya’s and Ryker’s. Frankly, I’ll stab someone Sheidy-style if Jordan Jasper Green, only son of Monty and Harper, becomes some crappy Prime guy. (Sidenote: upon further rewatching, he has a very high collar so we can’t tell and this is not okay.)
- Who’s the “he” who has O and Diyoza in the Anomaly? Obviously this is a Season 7 question, but we can speculate! I’ve heard theories about it being Sheidheda but. I don’t see how that would work, considering radio signals can’t reach Sanctum from space?
- Genuinely curious, are Becho still a thing? I mean, talk about platonic besties 🤷♀️
- So it’s safe to say that “Love is Weakness” originated with Slim Sheidy, yeah? It’s these little details that mean the most tbh.
- Gabriel and Murphy is my new favorite BFF team. Do you see this majestic duo? Fighting off Sanctumites, joking around, being awesome? They’re the friendship I never knew I needed.
- Everyone needs to spend a hot second taking out their mind drives. Like guys Russell can see you, get rid of them!
- Madi saying “Prime” in Trig as “Pram”, a la Bekka Pramheda gives me complete confidence in my theory that the “Pram” part of her name is connected to the Primes. It is not just some grammatical coincidence, nope, refuse to believe it.
- Can we get a slow clap for Octavia’s newfound self awareness? I mean, not only is she making amends out the wazoo, she’s like, teaching life lessons based on her own struggles and wow, this is an Octavia I can get behind! Pike would be so proud.
Song of the Week:
This isn’t even a choice. The show has killed it on every single piece of music this season, and I daresay they saved the best for last. Gaits’ “Other Side” is kind of everything, yeah? Also, you get to see the full Bellarke reunion, so you’re welcome!
You know how hiatuses usually crawl by? Yeah this one will fly because we don’t want it to. I am going to cherish the hell out of every announcement of every little thing. And there will probably be a lot of tears. (“Probably”, have I even met myself!? 😂)
- There had better be room in Season 7 for an Octavia-Indra Reunion Special. I swear to Heda, if these two don’t get to have the epic hug and subsequent conversation they deserve, I am seriously suing. Like suing harder than when they didn’t bloop Diyoza out of the Anomaly.
- Who’s the Big Bad this season? The epically homicidal duo of Sheidheda and Russell? Jordan and the Primes (which sounds like a band name tbh)? Whoever’s in The Anomaly making Hope stab her friends? Hope herself? Honestly at this point it could be anyone.
- Does the Anomaly take us to one of the other planets? Because if not, why did Russell mention them so specifically?
- We’re going to get that damn Cadogan connection, right? Right?!?! Look, I didn’t wait three seasons to get zero payoff. Gimme some Cadogan. Throw Becca back in while you’re at it. I needs.
- Bet Madi knows lots of Sheidheda secrets that can help out! I mean, they played chess for weeks, she has to have some intel, yeah?
- Hope seems to have a code on her face, too. So maybe that is how we can get back into the Anomaly and get our girls out?