Welcome, welcome! In case you missed last week’s recap, here you go!
Now, if you recall, unlike in book reviews, we do not mind spoiling the hell out of the show, so turn back now if you don’t want to know any of the things! This has been your warning!
OH and while it may be obvious that I don’t like, hang around taking still photos from the show’s set, these pictures aren’t mine, of course. They’re from, you know, the show. Or humans who know how to make GIFs, which incidentally, I still can’t figure out.
Now, let’s do this! Episode 3×11: Nevermore
This episode was epic. It has been building since literally day one of this show, and I am not going to “recap” it. Because you need to watch it. But I can highlight some of the awesome, and give you a brief synopsis!
My fangirl heart shattered. My loves reunited in such an epic way- and to save one of their own. Raven was possessed by ALIE, which we knew from last week, but as you recall, Jasper got her the hell out of Arkadia (and almost ran over Clarke, but those are minor details).
He and Clarke find the rest of the delinquents, and head to Niylah’s… store or whatever that even is. Do you remember Niylah? She’s Clarke’s hookup buddy from the beginning of the season. Only, oopsie, Bellamy killed her dad in the Grounder Massacre. That puts a kink in the plan, no?
“Hey, mind if we fight off an evil AI while I point this gun at you? By the by, I slaughtered your dad for funsies. That’s not a problem, is it?”
Let’s just start…. somewhere, Idk.
Raven as RALIE
Let’s start with the Possessed One, shall we? First, maybe a standing ovation for Lindsay Morgan? Holy shit she was amazing. First, for her to become ALIE (and she did) and actually embody not just ALIE the character, but every movement of Erica Cerra as like, a human. It’s basically epic.
Raven stays unconscious long enough to get her into Niylah’s place, but not for long. It takes literally every single person to tie her to the bed…. and well, even that doesn’t stop her.
She. BIT. Clarke.
So once they figure out how to (kind of) physically keep her in check, RALIE starts torturing the gang mentally. ALIE uses Raven’s memories as a weapon basically, hurling all kinds of emotional grenades at anyone and everyone. She makes Clarke and Jasper run away pretty quickly-
She’s even making Sinclair sad.
But Bellamy thinks he can handle it.And he does, for longer than anyone else really.
And then Niylah hears that Bellamy killed her dad, and happy fun time is over. Luckily, Octavia and Monty have gone to find the battery EMP thingy, and look, they’re back!
Octavia & Monty’s Epic Detour
These two crazy kids have gone to the dropship for the makings of a solid EMP. Of course, RALIE hears their plans, so they know they’re on borrowed time. Monty’s still got the sads because his mom ratted him out to Pike, and Octavia has the most awful broken heart I have ever seen- it’s physically painful to watch.
But Monty disagrees, of course.
And then… they are caught. And who is it? Monty’s Mom, of course! Because Hannah Green is freaking everywhere that Monty is. Even in an episode with no other adults, there she is. Oh, but she brought a friend.
Aw, crap. So yeah, Mrs. Monty is in The City of Light. Or whatever happens to these people, Idk. Anyway, HALIE tries to convince Monty to come back with her or whatever, and he does not think this is a good idea. So Octavia jumps out of the bushes or some shit (seriously, why was she not there anyway?) and fights HALIE, but then HALIE holds this big ass sword to her throat and Octavia can’t fight her off for much longer. So Monts has to make a decision: Octavia, or his mom as possessed by ALIE.
Ready for some irony? Last week, on Greg’s recap I said in the comment section “I’ll even take an accidental stray bullet getting Jaha OR Monty’s Mom.” Sorry, Monty. And I guess Monty’s Mom, but not really.
The absolutely heartbreaking thing about this episode is that each one of these people have lost someone close to them at this point- someone very close. Monty’s loss made it complete. And even worse, they all in some way feel like they could have or should have done more to save their loved one, and in some ways, feel completely (or are completely) responsible.
- Jasper: Maya Jasper may never forgive Clarke for Mt Weather, which seems rather unfair since it wasn’t only her decision, and Maya was willing to die for the cause. But really, Jasper is angry at Jasper for not being able to save her- for not being able to come up with a way, for feeling helpless. And of course because he loved her, even though they knew each other for about four minutes.
But he’ll continue to hate Clarke until he can realize that she isn’t the bad guy. And Clarke will continue to take it, because she still feels like she was the bad guy.
- Clarke: Lexa/Finn/Wells/Her Dad/Mt. Weather Clarke, I don’t know how Clarke will ever heal really. How can she? Not only has she lost all these people (which RALIE so helpfully pointed out), but she feels responsible for every last one of them. And on some level, I suppose she was, though not really in the way she imagines.
- Bellamy: Lincoln/His Mom/Gina/299 Grounders/Mt. Weather/The Culled Bellamy’s head count is quite possibly worse than Clarke’s since he teamed up with Pike. But while Clarke does blame herself, Bellamy takes it to a new level. I feel like he spent about 70% of his Pillamy time just beating himself up internally (the other 30% was spent being up Pike’s ass, of course). Every drop of blood on Bellamy’s hands hurts his soul, but I don’t know that he will ever get past what he did to Lincoln, and by extension, to Octavia.
- Octavia: Lincoln/Her trust in Bellamy My soul hurts just typing this. Will she ever be okay? I mean, I know she will, because she is a badass warrior, but will her heart ever heal? Her soul? (Pretty sure mine won’t, if that’s any indication.) I think part of it is that she feels like Bellamy is lost to her too, and where does she belong in this world?
- Monty: Monty’s Mom I mean, we may be happy, but obviously Monty isn’t. Especially when Clarke is able to save Raven, and Monty realized that his mom wasn’t lost to ALIE forever. But she was going to kill Octavia, so hopefully in time Monty can heal. But poor orphan Monty is not in a good way right now. He’d been able to stay away from a lot of the pain- at least in the up-close-and-personal sense. But to kill your mom? Even if she was possessed, that’s got to be the worst ever.
- Raven: Finn/Possession of her body/The use of her leg/Her place in the world Raven has been a mess for a long time. I mean, this is what ALIE used to get her, right? She’s in physical pain, and she’s in emotional pain. And I think she has always felt like she wasn’t part of the original group (because she wasn’t) and that weighs on her. She may never fully forgive Clarke for Finn’s death (or probably for sleeping with him, but that’s another story), and man, she just deserves a break.
RALIE Raven’s Back!
Finallllly! So Raven’s wristband thing works- too well, actually- and she ends up basically comatose. So Clarke, remembering the removal of ALIE 2.0 from Lexa, grabs a dirty ass scalpel and just digs ALIE out of her neck. Easy peasy! Then they beg Raven to wake up because, shit, ALIE is coming!
And she does! It kind of puts things in a bit different of a perspective, at least for Octavia. She was ready to hightail it out of there as soon as they saved Raven, but we ended up seeing the first sign of life in her instead:
Then they take off to the cave to wait until they can make their next move. And excuse me, do I see signs of RASPER!?!
Incidentally, this made Holly mad. My shipping of Rasper in general, basically:
So, our fearless delinquents shall return to Arkadia next week! What kind of horrors await them? And can you even stand this badass picture?