Welcome to my stop on the FFBC Blog Tour for Malice by Pintip Dunn! I am so excited to share with you my thoughts on this freaking amazing book and give you a chance to win your own copy (which trust, you want).Malice by Pintip Dunn
Published by Entangled: Teen on February 4, 2020
Source:Copy provided by publisher for review, via Netgalley
What I know: a boy in my school will one day wipe out two-thirds of the population with a virus.
What I don’t know: who he is.
In a race against the clock, I not only have to figure out his identity, but I’ll have to outwit a voice from the future telling me to kill him. Because I’m starting to realize no one is telling the truth. But how can I play chess with someone who already knows the outcome of my every move? Someone so filled with malice they’ve lost all hope in humanity? Well, I’ll just have to find a way—because now they’ve drawn a target on the only boy I’ve ever loved...
This book was so freaking good. Like, unputdownable, full of twists and turns and characters and feels. When I started, I didn’t know that it would take as much of a sci-fi turn as it did, but I was really excited that it did! So let us delve into all the phenomenal stuff I loved in this book!
What I Loved:
- So much gray morality! I mean, the grayest of gray, The 100-level gray. I love me some morally ambiguous decision making, and Malice has it in droves! The choices these characters will have to make are loaded. Do they trust the voices telling them what they must do? Can they trust anyone? And how exactly can Alice make these decisions between the people she loves, and people in general? Love it. In the same vein, it’s incredibly thought provoking and asks all sorts of questions that if you’re like me, you have no idea how you’d answer!
- The characters were awesome all around. Alice was a great main character, for sure. She reacts to the information she gets and the decisions she must make in really authentic ways. And feeling invested in the side characters was equally important, because the stakes all felt super high as a result- I obviously cared what happened to all of them!
- It 100% kept me guessing. And oh, did I have guesses! My Kindle notes are filled with “ooooh I bet it’s X!” and “oh nope, nope it’s gotta be Y!” and of course I was wrong most of the time but guessed often enough that I ended up being right 😉
- Positively engrossing. Like I mentioned before, it was unputdownable. I stayed up too long reading, and paid for it the next day, and didn’t even care. I read it every spare minute I had, tbh. Even when maybe I wasn’t supposed to read 🙊
- The entire plot felt so unique and fresh, and I just devoured it. I extra liked that it was a bit more sci-fi than I’d expected. I think I expected mostly contemporary, and it was to an extent, but I also got this extra dose of sci-fi awesomeness!
Bottom Line: An absolute page-turner with phenomenal characters, thought-provoking choices, and a plot that captured me from the start.
Win (1) of (2) copies of MALICE by Pintip Dunn (US Only)