Welcome to January’s Monthly Minutes at Midnight!
Here’s the deal: I’ll share the books I’ve obtained, posts of interest from others, giveaways I have happening, and just general random shenanigans. You know I love a shenanigan.
For Review/From Publishers:
Thanks to Entangled! I have not read the other books in this series, but the cover is nice!
Huge thanks to Harper, Sky Pony Press, HMH, Simon & Schuster, Disney, and Del Rey!!
Also… oops? If it helps, I was down to zero review books last month so… it’s not so bad? 😀 (I was also going to try to make the covers smaller because this is kind of out of hand but…. oh well.)
I actually pre-ordered The Defiant in hardcover like, a year ago. But I was so very lazy and didn’t take a picture. Good Morning, Midnight was a Kindle Daily Deal, and probably isn’t on sale anymore. Sorry.
Won Whisper from YA Books Central!
Shenanigans Since Last Time:
I read 15 books this month! I might finish a 16th tonight, but do I really want to put that pressure on myself? No, no I don’t.
The year started out really great! Obviously all Neal Shusterman books are wins, I adored Alex + Ada, and no one thought I didn’t like a Catching Fire re-read, right? Anyway, it was honestly a pretty good month- I wouldn’t rate any of these 15 books under 3 stars, so that’s certainly a good thing!
Here are some of the loveliest/most entertaining/super helpful/just plain interesting posts I found this month!
This isn’t a list fail, wooooo!
- Becky @ A Fool’s Ingenuity explains why it is okay to be a “bad blogger”
- Evelina @ Avalinah’s Books talks about when you should start requesting ARCs
- Greg @ Book Haven asks if your personality shines through on your blog
- Amber @ Du Livre shares thoughts every blogger has
- Neryeda @ Nick & Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist explains how and why she sucks at blogging
- Kathy @ Books & Munchies wants to know if you use/like links in blog posts
- Aimee @ Aimee Always discusses the importance of reading and reviewing backlist books
- Cait @ Paper Fury explains the 8 types of TBRs
- Sam @ We Live and Breathe Books wonders if she is fair to funny books
- Carrie @ Cat on a Bookshelf shares tips for finding the best fan fiction
- AJ @ Read All the Things! explains why she forgot your book
- Rashika @ Xpresso Reads tells us some questions that bookworms are sick of answering. While you read that, she shares her tea knowledge, in case you want to drink some while you read!
- Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight discusses how rarely we really talk about specific books
- Marie @ Drizzle & Hurricane Books explains why she doesn’t do TBRs
- Charlie @ Girl of 1000 Wonders discusses sexuality in YA
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction explains why Book Outlet is her weakness
- Wendy @ Falconer’s Library needs your help to decide which diverse authors to feature in her classroom
- Sammie @ The Writerly Way shares some myths (and truths!) about writing
- Laura @ Boats Against the Current wants to know how you follow other blogs
- Dayna @ Fine Print talks about what makes a book a comfort read
- Nick @ Nick & Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist discusses why she rates books so highly
- Krysta @ Pages Unbound shares her top bookish pet peeves
- Holly @ The Fox’s Hideaway discusses book buying habits
Fancy & New Since Last I Saw You!
I love looking at pretty covers! So here are some new ones that I have fallen in love with since our last update!
Apparently “Red and Black Fancy Font” is the new “White Bitches in Ballgowns”? And tbh, I can live with it.
Things we need to talk about at this juncture:
- It has been eight months since Praimfaya. And there are still almost three months to go. Yes, the premiere of The 100 Season 5 was announced, and we must suffer until April 24th, which is rude, tbh. (Sidenote: Why is basically every show I love coming back in the spring!?) But… the end is in sight, friends! Who else is giddy excited? Who else loves that Jason has been feeding us on Twitter on the reg?
- I am obsessed with Fear the Walking Dead. Guys. I can’t stop watching it. Cannot. Idk if it’s filling a need I didn’t know Lexa left in my heart, but yep, love it. It isn’t like, as emotional as some of my other faves, but it is compulsively watchable and I am here for it.
- Life… is interesting. Adulting can be such a mess. I mentioned in my “Culling of the Books” post (where you should totally go help me rid myself of some books, by the by) that I was going through a divorce, but I kind of did it as a throw-away line. I think only like, 5 people in the bookish community even knew, even though it has been going on for a loooooong time. But frankly, I just want to be able to talk about it openly. The reason I didn’t mention it earlier is mostly that I don’t really want sympathy and such- it’s a very positive thing, I promise, and it’s also been in the works for ages. But there is all the messy stuff that comes with it that is not fun, and I hated lies of omission. So… that’s that 😀