Welcome to October’s Monthly Minutes at Midnight! New graphic, maybe this one will last for more than a couple months? Not likely.
Here’s the deal: I’ll share the books I’ve obtained, posts of interest from others, giveaways I have happening, and just general random shenanigans. You know I love a shenanigan.
HUGE thanks to Abrams!!
Via Netgalley, thanks to Bloomsbury, and via Edelweiss, thanks to Sky Pony Press!
Not my highest quality picture ever, but it’s okay. Books are still super pretty!
Guys, this picture makes me realize just how crooked my house really is- I cannot get straight pictures because the stupid place is not right!
Thanks to author Paula Stokes for Vicarious, and Adventures in YA Publishing & Quercus US for Way Down Dark!! And thanks to Melissa for Forever, Again! Thanks so much for the trades, people I traded with!! ♥♥♥
Shenanigans Since Last Time:
I read 12 books. Which is okay because some of them were really great books. And some of them were really long books too. So I can live with this!
Not linking because time. This is why Goodreads and Google are your friends.
I can’t even pick a favorite! Okay, I can, it’s Scythe. But Corruption, Flashfall, and Feed were all great too. And then Iron Cast and Life in a Fishbowl were solid too. This was seriously just a good reading month, in terms of quality!
Here are some of the loveliest/most entertaining/super helpful/just plain interesting posts I found this month!
- Lexie @ The Honest Bookclub shares some awesome info on fan art
- Val @ The Innocent Smiley talks about the illusion of knowledge (SO fascinating- and kind of scary!)
- Holly @ The Fox’s Hideaway talks about allll the cover redesigns (enough already, right?!)
- Krysta @ Pages Unbound discusses why it is never okay to pirate books– and has a giveaway, too!
- Cait @ Paper Fury tells us why collecting books is actually really, really bad.
- Nereyda @ Nick and Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist shares what she is looking forward to this fall
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction has giveaway guilt- and wants to know if you do, too!
- Jenna @ Happy Indulgence talks about why she reads historical fiction
- Molly @ Molly’s Book Nook shares some awesome writing tips, just in time for NaNo!
- Karen @ Kissin’ Blue Karen wants to know if you’d still blog if no one saw your posts (nope for me haha)
- Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic shares thoughts all library addicts have had
- Julia @ A Perfection Called Books has a guide to help you decide if you should buy or not
- Eva @ All Books Considered talks ARC greed
- Cynthia @ Bingeing on Books discusses how ARCs have negitively impacted her reading
- Greg @ Book Haven wants to know how scary is too scary. He also asks when do you review books. (My answer was something like “several months after I should have”)
- AJ @ Read all the Things! talks about why she doesn’t review ARCs
- Puput @ Sparkling Letters discusses the struggles of international bookworms. She also reminds us why it is NOT okay to hate on books you haven’t even read yet.
- Lola @ Lola’s Reviews has tips for running a great giveaway
- Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books asks why we read YA
- Briana @ Pages Unbound asks if you can have a book blog without writing reviews
- Lory @ The Emerald City has tips for building an event following
- Jeann @ Happy Indulgences shares twelve recommendations for diverse books. She also shares a super important story about self care.
- Laura @ Boats Against the Current asks how you stay inspired while blogging (I personally have NO idea, so…) She also shares five early signs that a book won’t be working for her!
- Aila @ One Way or an Author has an organizational solution for all that bookish swag!
So, it was Halloween once! Here are some superheroes to save the day! Super Lena and Super Sammy, though Super Sammy would NOT stand still, so this is the best I could do. Must have been trouble afoot 😉
My favorite little superpeople.
Fancy & New Since Last I Saw You!
I love looking at pretty covers! So here are some new ones that I have fallen in love with since our last update!
So, lots of pretty this month! I seriously had to narrow it down because there were TOO many!
Things we need to talk about at this juncture:
- It’s NaNo time! I am giving this a shot but… we’ll see. Want to be buddies? Find me here! I also will be later than usual responding to stuff, but I’ll get there, promise!
- It is also my birthday month! I am less excited about this than I used to be because… being old isn’t as fun 😉
- If you are in the US… VOTE. Need I say more? Meanwhile, I will be stressed every second until the end of the election. (And loooong after it goes badly, I assume.)
- I read two of the books that you chose! The Dead House, The Women in the Walls, and These Shallow Graves were in a three-way tie when I had to pick, so I read the first two! I was… moderately underwhelmed? I am beginning to think that I cannot be scared. (By books, anyway!)