For the record, unlike Katniss, my vote is for “Not Real”. I was thinking of asking Mythbusters to investigate, but they can’t really blow it up, so I doubt they’d be interested. Basically, this is my cry for help: How exactly do you manage your time? I am mainly referring to blogging and reading ventures, but if you have advice, I’ll take it!
Let’s address some of the major issues:
First, people have lives.
I know we bloggers and readers vary wildly by demographic, but I would be willing to bet that very, very few of us just have all day every day to leisurely sit around reading and blogging. (Though, wouldn’t that be nice?) No, there are pesky things like jobs, or school, or writing, or pesky toddlers (ah hem, here’s looking at you, kids!) that leave us less time than we’d like at the end of the day.
So you’ve reached the end of the day/your free time…
Congrats! Look at you, making it through whatever you had to do like a champ. But now there’s the little matter of how to manage the rest of the day. In my world, here is what needs to happen:
- Sam goes to bed between 8-9. That is when I have time to do starting doing junk.
- I am interrupted, as Holly & Val know, nightly around 10:30-11:00 for a reading of The Berenstain Bears, and to put Lena to bed.
- Sam wakes up around 8am. Lena wakes up whenever the mood strikes her.
- All of the above must happen in that slightly less than 12 hour period: Reading, blogging, goofing around, talking to humans over the age of 3, catching up on TV, and of course, sleeping.
And how does that usually break down?
- 9:00-Bear Time: Look at email. Look at Twitter. Light a candle. Find socks, because it’s cold in here. Open a new post to type in. Quickly click away from that tab. Visit some other blogs. Look at wishlist at Amazon and Book Depository. Try not to buy books. Back to Twitter. Check email again. Wait, didn’t check Goodreads yet! Crap, it’s Bear Time.
- Post Bear Time- 11:30pm: Go back to that empty post. Look at it blankly for a few minutes. Wander back to Twitter or Goodreads. See what’s shakin’ on Netgalley and Edelweiss. Meander back to post. Maybe write a title, or check off a “category”. Type a few words. Erase them. Visit some other blogs again.
- 11:30-12:05am: Realize that you need to post something, and you only have a few (erased) words. Type some shenanigans up, and feel like you kind of failed at posting. Promise to devote time to schedule ahead over the weekend.
- 12:06-2:00am: Open another new post. Pretend like you may actually write words. Go meander around a few more blogs. Maybe look at Twitter and Goodreads again. Get into some kind of conversation with someone on Twitter or something, lose track of time.
- 2:00-2:45: Allow self one DVRed show while eating hummus. Spend the boring parts checking Instagram.
- 2:45-4:15: Read.
- 4:15-4:45: Think about all the blog posts that must be written. Toss and turn. Forget all aforementioned blog posts by morning.
- 4:45- Screaming Child: Sleep.
And repeat. Clearly, this isn’t working out! I need more sleep, but mostly, I need more time! I feel like collapsing most days, honestly.
Because sadly, I couldn’t find a decent Wiress gif.