Welcome to May’s Monthly Minutes at Midnight!
Here’s the deal: I’ll share the books I’ve obtained, posts of interest from others, giveaways I have happening, and just general random shenanigans. You know I love a shenanigan. Also, covers all link to Goodreads, because I am awesome. I link up with the Wrap-Up-Round-Up, because of course I do.
For Review/From Publishers:
Hugest of thanks to St. Martin’s Press!!
Huge thanks to the publishers, so many most-anticipated books here!
Shenanigans Since Last Time:
I read 17 books this month. I have never read 17 books in one month before. It’s a proud moment indeed.
Okay but there were a lot of winners in here! I didn’t hate any of them either, which is saying a lot!
Here are some of the loveliest/most entertaining/super helpful/just plain interesting posts I found this month!
- Jeann, Jenna, and Bec @ Happy Indulgence share their book reviewing process
- Sam @ We Live and Breathe Books talks about types of endings
- Tasya @ The Literary Huntress shares how she rates and reviews
- Geraldine @ Corralling Books offers low cost book buying options
- Chana @ Paper Procrastinators tells you why you should read book blogs
- Veronika @ Wordy & Whimsical shares some great audiobook tips
- Louise @ Monstrumology wants to know your thoughts on same story, different POV books
- Sabrina @ Wordy and Whimsical discusses plot twists that she does not like
- Sammie @ The Bookwyrm’s Den shares some fantasy for beginners
- Amber @ Du Livre discusses the pros and cons of illustrated covers
- Cait @ Paper Fury shares things she wants to see more of in Mental Health YA
- Marie @ Drizzle & Hurricane Books talks about how book blogging has changed in the past 5 years
- Malka @ Paper Procrastinators discusses non-traditional family representation in books
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction has become a junk artist (my mind went to 5 Minute Crafts tbh!)
- Jess @ Jessticulates wants to know if historical retellings are ethical
- Sam @ We Live and Breathe Books chats about cover drama
Fancy & New Since Last I Saw You!
I love looking at pretty covers! So here are some new ones that I have fallen in love with since our last update!
Quality over quantity clearly, but I’ll take it!
Things we need to talk about at this juncture:
- The 100. Season 7. Game on. We’re two episodes into the final season, and I am just. Trying to look ahead to the 14 episodes we have to go and not just cry. I should have my recap/thoughts on 7×02 “The Garden” up tomorrow!!
- BYOC Bookish Games are under way! I can’t say much about it other than… it’s a trip so far!
- **Edited to Add More Resources** There isn’t much happening on a personal level (though I did realize I graduated from high school 20 years ago today yikes), but the world is aflame, so. I genuinely don’t know how to put all my feelings into words eloquently here, and I wish I could figure it out. It’s important to stand up and say something. Here is a Tweet thread for donating for protester bail funds. Minnesota Freedom Fund has directed donors to other organizations since they’ve had an influx. And here is an article on ways to help. Just… we all need to do something here. Adding HERE and HERE for huge lists of ways to help, petitions, donations, etc. It isn’t okay to sit by and watch this happen. The victims are people’s children, friends, parents, loved ones. They matter, they will always matter, and they deserved so, so much better. Black lives matter. We cannot keep failing them.