Welcome to June’s Monthly Minutes at Midnight- plus a little ALA recap!
Here’s the deal: I’ll share the books I’ve obtained, posts of interest from others, giveaways I have happening, and just general random shenanigans. You know I love a shenanigan.
For Review/From Publishers:
Thanks to Harper, The Novl, and Abrams!! (Sorry that these pictures are kind of crappy.)
via Netgalley & Edelweiss, thanks to Simon & Schuster and HarperTeen!!
Not bad, right?
I’ll put the ALA books down in the ALA section, break it up a bit? Sure.
Shenanigans Since Last Time:
I read 14 books this month. The sad part is, I would have read lots more but I barely read anything in the last week. It is unusual but… meh. 😀
Another strange, strange bookish month. Definitely more good than bad though. And a few that were really good!
Here are some of the loveliest/most entertaining/super helpful/just plain interesting posts I found this month!
This… is shorter than usual because I have been a dreadful blogging fail this month. Sorry, friends. But there are still fun posts!
- Wren @ Of Wonderland shares some things that fictional guys could learn from real ones
- Laura @ Boats Against the Current wants to know how much you’d pay for an ebook
- Greg @ Book Haven explains why comic movies need to follow the comics more
- Terri @ Second Run Reviews tells us how not to meet a celebrity
- Rachel @ Chocolate and Chapters talks about why she doesn’t review books she loves
- Molly @ Molly’s Book Nook shares some changes you can make on your blog that will leave readers more likely to visit
- Mikela @ The Well Thumbed Reader discusses the blogging advice she does and doesn’t follow
- Cait @ Paper Fury offers 17 Reader Lifehacks
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction tells us how not to book conference
- Jenna @ Happy Indulgence shares some of her most disliked contemporary tropes
Usually I do “random musings” here, but instead, let’s talk about ALA!
So, I drove to ALA in Chicago and stayed with my lovely friends, Holly and Sabrina. Zoey was with us most of the time too, and I wish I had known she was driving so she could have stayed with us. Silly Zoey. And since you probably don’t need all the details, I shall share some highlights, because those are fun!
- I vowed to take pictures. I did not take any pictures. I did steal a few from my friends though, so yeah. Such a fail.
- Books! I was such a good little booknerd this time around– I was more reasonable and selective than I have ever been at any conference, which is both a win and a necessity. These are the lovely books I picked up (well, the ones for me anyway 😉 )
- I saw SO. Many. People. This was so fun, and I know I will forget people if I start listing them, but the thing I love the most about ALA (as opposed to BEA, besides the organization) is the fact that it is so chill and you get to actually talk to people. Authors and publishers, but also other bloggers and bookish people! And since it is smaller, you get to run into your people more often, too!I saw Amber @ Du Livre, and we had so much fun having a nice long lunch! And then we had dinner with a whole bunch of lovely humans, like Lauren @ Shooting Stars Mag, Michelle @ Pink Polka Dot Books, Nicole (and her mom Gay who is awesome!) @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction, Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally, and Katie @ Katie’s Book Blog ! And I have pictures! Thanks to Amber and Lauren for the photos!!
My hair in the second photo is inexplicable. Let’s blame the “Windy City”, mmmkay? Instead of the real truth, straight up laziness.
- I got to meet some of my author heroes! Namely Louise O’Neill and Cat Winters! Seriously, I have loved their books so much and both women have written about some really hard topics in very different ways. I find them both amazing authors and amazing role models, and I may have even choked up a little when I met Louise. If you haven’t read their books… DO. IT. I did, however, miss out on seeing my third author hero, Neal Shusterman. This was partly my fault, partly the fault of some weird time change. I am sad, but at least I got to meet two of the three!
- We ate a lot of burgers. I have no idea why. It was kind of random, I think? Anyway, Val and Rashika recommended Umami Burger, and since we were definitely missing our buddies, we took them up on that idea! And I had a pretty burger- this and some weird ass beer I saw in a Michigan grocery store were the only pictures I took. Again, I failed.
- Driving and not sleeping isn’t my fave. I ended up taking a nap in an Ohio rest stop parking lot, as you do. I was fine on the way there, but on the way back? Such a mess.
- The next time I go to a bookish event, I am going to need Cait @ Paper Fury to send me a stack of business cards, because I had to tell so many people where I got my tote. Like, I was writing down the address to her Society6 shop, especially in the Starbucks line. Cait, a heads up, people who love your bags love coffee, so you may want to investigate the correlation?
- I listened to my first audiobook! It was First & Then, and I liked it! On the way home, I started The Scorpio Races (after getting to actually talk to Maggie about how I was going to listen to it on the way home, eeep!) but it was longer than the drive, so I will probably just read the rest!
Fancy & New Since Last I Saw You!
I love looking at pretty covers! So here are some new ones that I have fallen in love with since our last update!
Lots of pretty ones this month!! 😀 Also, the cover of Blood and Sand is so beyond gorgeous in person, I feel like this picture doesn’t even start to do it justice?
Things we need to talk about at this juncture:
- It’s been a month without The 100. I have already rewatched it once. Oops? I am not sorry. And I started the second rewatch, because I have real issues. BUT, it will be going slower this time because Greg told me to start Orphan Black, and so I did! Because I really do need to watch something new, and now I am quite intrigued! That is what I shall resume after finishing this post, in fact.
Speaking of The 100 though, my plan is to do a post every month or two. I have a “Where Are They Now?” post in the works! But I also don’t want to completely inundate everyone during the hiatus, so I promise to keep it under control 😉 I also want to do some video edits- someone hold me to that and also give me some tips? Great.
- I have been a real mess of a blogger lately. If I am being honest, there’s no real reason for it- though I have been completely MIA since I was so damn exhausted from ALA, and the driving and such. But my plan is to take it easy for the rest of the summer. Because I want to. Because…
- Still trying to get Shattering Stigmas organized. But as I mentioned, I am an unorganized mess of late, and I would rather push it back if I had to than have it be sloppily done. I shall talk to my cohorts soon- but it will definitely be happening in the fall!