Welcome to January’s Monthly Minutes at Midnight!
Emma @ Miss Print helped me figure out a few ways to make this easier on myself, so I am giving them a shot this month! Thanks, Emma! Here’s the deal: I’ll share the books I’ve obtained, posts of interest from others, giveaways I have happening, and just general random shenanigans. You know I love a shenanigan.
Thanks to Penguin & Entangled!
Top row via Edelweiss, thanks to HarperCollins; bottom row via Netgalley, thanks to Random House and Flatiron!
True story, I didn’t buy any books this montH! Well, okay, one, but it was a pre-order. Of Traitor to the Throne. BUT I bought it like two months ago. And frankly, my camera ran out of battery, so all I have is a crappy phone pic. But I will do better next time.
Traded for Blood Rose Rebellion…and then got a copy at ALAMW so that sounds about right for me bwhaha. But the trade one has a sticker on it, which has become my nemesis, so once I get it off (and I will) I shall rehome it somehow.
And thanks to Val @ The Innocent Smiley for the scarf and candle in this picture- I also got a signed hardcover of Scythe, but that is being held hostage. By Val. I have no leverage. I am also still “growing our friendship”, and I will show these things when I have them. Love youuu Val! ♥
These are just a few of the books I got. But again, Val is booknapping my books. Idk what the ransom is, because I don’t have much. 😉
Shenanigans Since Last Time:
I read 11 books. Not the best month ever, but considering ALA and the whole “Our president is an actual pile of garbage lit aflame” thing… well it’s probably not terrible in terms of reading. I linked to all the things.
This was an… interesting reading month. I read some really awesome books that will definitely be 5 stars (The Hate U Give, for example), some books that I really did not like (I have already reviewed those, at least, yay!) and then some books that were oddly enjoyable despite the fact that I basically hate-read them (Homecoming, shocking, I know).
Here are some of the loveliest/most entertaining/super helpful/just plain interesting posts I found this month!
- Rashika @ Xpresso Read and Nick @ Nick and Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist have started a brand new feature on diverse book recs– check back every month for new ones!
- Ely @ Tea and Titles created and co-hosted The Disability Diaries event with a whole bunch of other bloggers, so be sure to check that out!
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction shares her fear of technology
- Helena & Becky @ BookNerd Addict celebrate two years of blogging!
- Rashika @ Xpresso Reads shares books and documentaries about climate change
- Lola @ Lola’s Reviews tells us what the heck to post on social media
- Simone @ Girl With a Cloudy Head dispels some myths about bookworms
- Verushka @ Pop.Edit.Lit shares a few things she needs from reviews
- Cynthia @ Bingeing on Books discusses the Goodreads Challenge and how we obsess over it
- Greg @ Book Haven asks what we think about the “hot covers” in Urban Fantasy. (I personally am worried about how their pants stay up. Who’s with me?)
- Holly @ The Fox’s Hideaway asks if/when you DNF (and if she should!)
- Bee @ Quite the Novel Idea shares 10 thoughts she has when starting a new book
- Puput @ Sparkling Letters tells us how to turn people into bookworms!
- Laura @ Boats Against the Current asks what your favorite length of book is
- Nereyda @ Nick and Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist asks if we need to be able to relate to a book to enjoy it
- Zeee @ I Heart Romance & YA asks when spoilers are okay to share
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction talks about niche genres in books
- Kristen @ Moonlight and Metaphors asks if our environment affects our reading
- Anissa @ Of Wonderland wants to know what exactly is Insta-Love?
- Cait @ Paper Fury tells us how to find time to read more.
- Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic talks about how her reading habits have changed since blogging.
- Lexie & Natalie @ The Honest Bookclub talk about borderline bonkers book blogger behavior (and alliteration FTW!)
- Krysta @ Unbound Pages reviews The Oregon Trail Board Game- I need this in my LIFE!
- Sydney @ Sydney’s Shelves discusses the art of Buddy Reading
- Ikram @ Ikram Reads a Lot talks about the struggle of remembering nothing when it is time to read a sequel
- Becky @ A Fool’s Ingenuity tells us why she is just fine with DNFing
- Terri @ Second Reviews does a study of her backlist books to see if books really do get moldier the longer they sit!
- Molly @ Molly’s Book Nook shares 5 book review ideas
I don’t have a ton to share right now, since most of my month was spent hyperventilating over the “government” (I won’t legitimize this shit), at ALAMW, being trapped at ALAMW, my super old car breaking down (followed by more tears and hyperventilating) and umm… OH being crazy excited for The 100! I made my first video clips ever too! They are super basic, but now that I know how, I am going to try to make an edit sooner than later!
Fancy & New Since Last I Saw You!
I love looking at pretty covers! So here are some new ones that I have fallen in love with since our last update!
This month picked its game up quite a bit, and I approve!! Also, Breaker in the Sun is an awesome book, just saying. And Satellite sounded really good but also really… The 100-esque. And a new Patrick Ness book? So much yes.
Things we need to talk about at this juncture:
- The 100 Season 4 HAS BEGUN. I am giddy excited! Who has watched the first episode!? I knew Echoes would have to do with Echo. P.S., I don’t like Echo. Never have. But… anyway, we’ll talk on Wednesday, hmm? (You can see our predictions here, too!)
- ALAMW was so. fun. I was actually going to do my recap in this post but then… it got too long and I figured why not save it? Truth was, I was kiiiind of too lazy to make a new graphic, but it seems that is unaviodable at this point.
- I am not doing well. Are any of us doing well? Probably not. Unless you have escaped to some kind of beautiful island oasis with no connection to the outside world or something, in which case, you aren’t reading this anyway. What are we going to do, guys? I am trying to not be a total downer here but… my stomach hurts all the time, I have a perma-headache, and the most phone-phobic person in ALL the land actually has (tried) to call her asshole senator whose voicemails (yes, plural) are all full and have been for weeks. We can never give up, but I beg you guys to remember to take care of yourselves too- this is my own reminder, as well. It’s like being on a plane. We can’t help others unless we put our own oxygen masks on first so… put on your masks, my darlings. ♥