Welcome to Midnight Digest 4!! Which, let’s be real, has turned into a monthly recap. And could be renamed accordingly at any time. But apparently not this month.
I’ll share the books I’ve obtained, posts of interest from others, giveaways I have happening, and just general random shenanigans. You know I love a shenanigan.
Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Lily and Dunkin by Donna Gephart
The Ones by Daniel Sweren-Becker
A Darkly Beating Heart by Lindsay Smith (not pictured because it came later and I forgot to do a re-take)
Blood Red, Snow White by Marcus Sedgwick
Jess, Chunk, and the Road Trip to Infinity by Kristin Elizabeth Clark
thanks to Penguin Teen, Macmillan, and Merit Press!
e-ARCs (Pictures link to Goodreads)
Via Netgalley and Edelweiss, thanks to Harper, Simon & Schuster, St. Martin’s, and Carolrhoda Books
Thanks to author Julia Ember and Sabrina @ The Forest of Words and Pages!!
Thanks to YABC and author Everly Frost; and Becca for the Instagram giveaway!!
Thanks so much!! ♥♥♥
Oh and ummm BEA, which you can read about here and here:
No, YOU got too many books in May… ?
Shenanigans Since Last Time:
What have I read? Not as much as I wanted to, but considering it was BEA time and my Kindle didn’t work on the plane ride there.. not so bad I suppose!
Also not linking, because time.
I…. can’t decide. Sorry(ish). I’ll review them all soon enough.
Giveaways: Click Here, or on Sidebar
- Aila @ Happy Indulgence reminds that it is great to have differing opinions on books, but not okay to be hateful over them!
- Nereyda @ Nick & Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist asks if you ever second guess negative reviews (the answer is all the time!)
- Holly @ The Fox’s Hideaway talks book hype, and how it can ruin a book for her.
- Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews shares some of the main differences between YA and NA books.
- Author Julia Ember is hosting the #ReadProud challenge for Pride Month, and it is kind of amazing, so join her!!
- Mara @ Mara Was Here tells us why she likes to read books with death in them (me too, me too!)
- Erica @ Novel Ink and Lauren @ Bookmark Lit created the Netflix and Books Tag, and it is FUN!
- Nicole @ Nicole’s Novel Reads gives us some great reasons to buy finished copies of books we love!
- Aentee @ Read at Midnight shares seven things that bloggers should not apologize for!
- Inge & Aly @ Of Wonderland are now Of Wonderland! Check out their intro/giveaway (and give Gary the Brain Cell my condolences on not being the namesake).
- Greg @ Book Haven talks spoilers (and spoiler from me: I do not like them.)
- Nereyda & Nick @ Nick & Nereyda’s Infinite Booklist discuss what happens when they have differing opinions on books (spoiler: it isn’t “become an internet bully”)
- Zoey @ Uncreatively Zoey shows us all the bookish things she’d buy if she had an endless supply of money (I assume she’ll share 😉 )
- Cait @ Paper Fury celebrates her FIFTH birthday! Fine, not hers, her blog’s. Whichever. She has games and giveaways, so off you go!
- Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction wants to know if blog stats and analytics help you, or if you’d rather avoid them.
- Tonyalee @ Lilybloombooks discusses community trends and how they relate to blog growth
- Julie & Lynn @ Chapter Break tell us their cover turn-offs
- Lauren @ Shooting Stars Mag shares her BEA recap- AND has a linky, so it’s a great place to see ALL the recaps!
- Karen @ Kissin Blue Karen wants to let you in on some Amazon secrets she’s acquired!
- Cynthia @ Bingeing on Books gives examples of things that book snobs say
- Shay @ The Story Goes… explains why it is never “just” a book.
- Terri @ Second Run Reviews has an amazing list of books to read for Yom Hashoah
- Jeann @ Happy Indulgence shares an amazing post about gender roles in books- and society at large!
Almost forgot to tell you guys that this happened, right at the start of May!
I plan to do a post about how I won (and spoiler, it isn’t because I was awesome, it’s because I was the actual worst). Seriously, I came thisclose to blowing the whole damn thing. Also, it was one of the most intense, but funnest things ever. You can see how it all went down here!
Shiny & New Since Last I Saw You!
I love looking at pretty covers! So here are some new ones that I have fallen in love with since our last update!
You may think that the fishbowl one is an odd choice, but it speaks to me. ::Shrugs::
Things we need to talk about at this juncture:
- I am back from my little “break” (BEA is not a break, as fun as it may be), and trying to catch up, as usual! So… hopefully I’ll get there 😉
- The 100 is over for the season, and my fangirl heart cannot handle it. I need to rewatch the series or something. I do plan to do a recap/fun stuff post within the next week though! (See the finale recap here, if you missed it!)
- Shattering Stigmas Part TWO is in the works! I am going to be trying to get a form up within the next few days for anyone interesting in participating!
- I miss my bookish friends. Is it too late to start planning #BEA17? It’s less than a year away now… 😀
All the books!! SO many and they are all so pretty!! I am excited for Shattering Stigmas Part 2. And I am all in on starting to plan #BEA17 🙂
Aw yayyy!! And seriously, you can never plan too early, right? 😉
AHHH SO MANY PRETTY COVERS!! And ohhh, Shannonk you have so many books.? SHALL I POP OVER FOR A FEW HOURS AND HELP YOU READ SOME??? AKA. GEMINA?? *flails and tries to steal it from you* ? JUUUUST KIDDING. I’m so glad you scored so many epic books!! And I’m so curious to what you think of The Leaving Season and 100 Days of Cake. (I didn’t like the later. 🙁 It had sadly not nearly enough cake and I was creeped out by the romance, ahhaah.a Ahem. But I NEED MORE PEOPLE’S THOUGHTS.) And oh. OH. Three Dark Crowns looks deliciously creepy and splendid. I hope it’s amazing!
I seriously DO need help with reading them! You can do what Val does- spend the weekend at my house and read a bunch of my books before I do ? Though I don’t know that the flight would be worth it 😉
I shall be reviewing those sooooon. 100 Days of Cake… yeah I am with you. The cake like, did not make sense to me. ALSO, I agree with the relationship. Like, it was one thing from HER side, but like… that guy is NOT OKAY. Actually, you have reminded me that I wanted to review that by Friday… so it shall be so!
I hope Three Dark Crowns is awesome too!
So I just realised I called you “Shannonk” in my original comment. WHOOOOPS. I’M GONNA PRETEND THAT WAS ON PURPOSE AND THAT’S MY NEW NAME FOR YOU. #fail ?
Yes, I shall just saddle up a dragon and dash over to your house on the weekend to help your TBR. I AM SO NICE I KNOW I KNOW.
My name can be Shannonk. That sounds quite unique. Perhaps some sort of native Alaskan? I like it.
And come on over! Be prepared for messes and loud children though 😉
SO. MANY. BOOKS! *O* Sounds like May was a pretty fun month! Unfortunately I couldn’t go to BEA because of, well, extreme distance (lol). But it was really nice to read about your experience! Can’t wait for the book reviews you’ll be having for June. <3
Aw thank you!! Sorry about the extreme distance, I always feel for you guys who are so far away! We need Book Expo International!
You traded for two of my favorite books! I hope you love Two Summers and Tell Me Three Things (and then talk to me about both!) *flails*
Oh YAY! This makes me VERY happy! (You totally convinced me to add Two Summers to my “must have” list, by the way!) I shall talk to you about them, in 8 years when I have finally read them ?
Yay, always happy to catch up with you Shannon and glad you are back! All the books this month, huh?! I can’t even fathom that many physical books!!
My May Recap!
Aw thanks! And umm seriously, I have NO room for them all, it’s bad. Also, I think I need to start reading faster ?
I always love your recap/digest because there’s soooo many fantastic links included, I go a little crazy visiting.
And omg your BEA haul is pretty damn impressive. I can’t even comprehend how you managed to bring all that back home with you. Lots of suitcases?
Aww thank you!! I am so glad that you enjoy them, that makes me happy 😀
And nope- I actually cried in the hotel lobby because I physically couldn’t fit them on the plane, and then the LOVELY Sabrina @ The Forest of Words and Pages stepped in and offered to ship some of them- I think she ended up shipping half of them! The rest fit in my suitcase and carry-on, somehow! ?
Oh no!! I’m glad that Sabrina was able to step in and help you out. It would have been so devasting to have to leave them.
Aw thanks! I know- I was actually about to take an Uber to Target and buy another suitcase, and I was basically sobbing in the lobby (which isn’t a great look 😉 )
AHH SO MANY AMAZING BOOKS. Three Dark Crowns, Heartless and Geminia are three of my most anticipated releases of the entire year, so I hope you enjoy them! 🙂 Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous recap! <3
Aww thank you!! I hope you enjoy all three of them (and that I do too hahhaha) 😀
so many really good books. I really want to read 10 days of cake and I am ready for ivory and bone. did you like mayqueen muders. I loved it.
Aw thanks! I liked The May Queen Murders, but the end was kind of “meh” for me. I did LOVE the atmosphere of the book though! Hope you enjoy 100 Days of Cake and Ivory and Bone!
All the pretties! *drool* I didn’t take any breaks, but I feel like it. I have nothing prepared. I’ll be working my tush off this weekend! In between staring at and kissing the man after I pick him up from the airport Saturday. 😀
Awww I hope your weekend was great, that is so sweet! And seriously, breaks are good. I should take my own advice and have breaks more often 😉
That is a fine book haul indeed Shannon! Definitely keen to read your bookish games post and thank you so much for sharing the posts on Happy Indulgence!
Aw of course! And yes, yes, especially since you feature quite prominently in it- all good things, I promise 😀
so many great books! Now you must find the time to read them all. haha Thanks for linking to my BEA post. I really do want people to link up their wrap-ups. It’s fun to see what everyone did, who they met, etc.
Aw of course! It is a great idea! And seriously, I will NEVER find the time for them all! 😀
Shannon, thank you so much for linking up to my post about Yom Hashoah! 🙂
I hope you have a stellar June.
Aw of course! And thanks, I hope you have a great June too!
I’m really interested to hear about your Chaos Walking game experience – I’ve considered joining one of their games before, but didn’t actually do it. I’m curious to hear about how it all works!
OOOH you have to! It is SO FUNNNNNNN! I linked to Inge’s post too, she has a lot of info!!
Wow, thanks for sharing all your gorgeous acquisitions, and a fascinating list of links. I’m off to check some of those out now. And I’m already planning for BEA 17 – I do not want to be left out of the fun this time!