Hello, hello! Welcome to Part 2 of my BEA 2016 Recap, where I share some junk that didn’t fit into the first recap, talk about the differences between BEA Chicago and BEA New York, and you know, whatever else I come up with along the way!
Where do I begin? Okay, let’s talk about some of the best parts of BEA 2016!
This is always the highlight of any bookish event, no? The good news is, I met a lot more bloggers this year than last year! Of course, there are people I wished I met and didn’t, and people who I wished I got to spend more time with (looking at you, Nicole!) and people I wish I remembered to take pictures with (pretty much everyone), but overall, I feel like this year was a lot more blogger-friendly, and since a lot of people were in the same hotel, it was easy to see them! Some of the wonderful people I met for this first time this year? (Sorry if I forgot you, it’s just because I fail at life, please let me know and I shall remedy!) P.S.- Thanks to Holly, who had to help me remember who I met. Oops?
ALSO, some of you do not have bl0g buttons! I wanted to include you but… I didn’t know how, other than to say hi to you, Nicole, Zoey, Amanda, Amber, Stefani… and of course, encourage the procurement of buttons.
I got books!
Shocking, I know. Go to a book conference, come back with books. I’ll give you a minute to wrap your head around that. Anyway, I have no idea when I got these books. All I know is that I got exactly one book on Saturday. So yeah. Otherwise, no idea. I also got a few kids’ books, but they aren’t pictured because you can’t see the spines because they don’t have spines.
Plus two more that Sabrina is borrowing!
So I was sure that I didn’t get as many books as last year. Even my roommates were sure! But alas, if you count these (plus the two Sabrina has), you’ll find that there are 64… which is the exact same number of books I acquired last year. Oops? I was definitely pickier too!
New York BEA vs. Chicago BEA
- More crowded in the actual center and the city.
- More options for food, especially late at night.
- Definitely more coffee. Coffee everywhere.
- People more spread out/less personal
- Seemed more exhausting? It was also 100 degrees, so…
- Cheaper, oddly- and not just because of the lack of airfare for yours truly!
- No flying is a huge bonus.
- Better transportation options
- I do love Chicago in general.
- Met wayyyy more people this year, and it was overall less crowded, which is a win for me.
- Deep dish pizza!
- Why did the hotel only have feather stuff? Some of us are allergic, Hyatt.
- Definitely less publisher presence, but still got to meet people!
- Illinois lets you buy wine at Walgreens. #Winning
- Good airport popcorn.
- Cooler weather! I was so, so happy for this, I won’t lie. (Sorry Mishma!)
Is there a verdict? I have no idea. Doesn’t matter, because no one asks me where to hold it, right?? That said, I am pretty glad it’s back in New York next year, just because it’s much cheaper and easier for me, and maybe I’m kind of selfish. Anyway, mark your calendars for May 31-June 2, 2017, so we can see each other!
Some tips from a now-two-timer:
- If you take Tylenol PM, take it before like, 3am. Because if you take it then, you won’t wake up and you’ll miss Ann M Martin, who is your childhood hero. Just saying.
- If you don’t like crowds and early mornings, maybe skip BookCon? Though I hear it will be two days again next year which may make it easier for people.
- Don’t even bother with a schedule. Bring a pen and a highlighter and a master schedule (Nori will hook you up) and go from there. Make sure someone is stalking Twitter (again, Nori). Actually, just bring along a Nori. Everyone should have one.
- Speaking of bringing people, make sure that you have a good BEA squad. I’d recommend these people, but you can’t have them because they’re mine.
- Don’t be like me, who progressively got more and more hobo-esque as the conference wore on. I even brought my hair dryer but then… I ended up looking like I do in that picture. So not great. I am going to try the hair dryer again next year, because hashtag GOALS.
- Be realistic about packing. Otherwise you’ll end up contemplating taking an Uber to Target to buy another suitcase.
- Meet people! This is the biggest for me- I wish I could have met even more people. This will definitely be my goal for next year- especially publishers and such. I was much better speaking to bloggers and authors this year (I don’t think I embarrassed myself too badly in front of anyone. I hope.), so next year I need to branch out even more!
- Bring a good camera. My dad took mine to Greece because he said that it was his (which like, it was, but he gave it to me and no take-backsies!) and that Greece had prettier views than Chicago (which fine, it does, but can he stop being reasonable please?) Next year I shall have my camera back because I have banned them from leaving the country during BEA week.
- Hiatuses really are your new best friend. I wasn’t sure how it would all work out, but I am so glad I did it. I don’t think I could have handled it all, honestly! But now, I am slowly working my way back. Focus on the “slowly” part 😉
I am glad I went, even though I was admittedly more emotional by the end of this one. There was a lot of stress that led up to it, a lot of stress right before I left, and even a lot of stress when I came home- not BEA related for the most part, just… a rough month basically. Will I do it again? Abso-freaking-lutely. Especially in New York. Hopefully Holly and Val just leave their bags packed, because we forgot to get a picture of us this year, so they’re just going to have to come next year. And here’s a few random pictures from BEA 2016!!
Literally almost posted this post with out the giveaway! Oopsie? Anyway. So I figured I will do a Twitter giveaway too, but that one will be US Only probs, so let’s make this one international, shall we? Here’s the deal: The winner can choose ANY one of the books I got above! (As long as TBD delivers, up to $17US, you know the drill!) It can be a pre-order, or a book that’s currently out, totally up to you! Ends.. let’s say a month from now. And today seems to be May 28 so… June 28. 11:59pm EDT. May the odds be ever in your favor.